Art Elements Analysis

 

                                                  Breezing Up (A Fair Wind) by Winslow Homer 1873-1876 (Public Domain)

    The Piece Breezing Up (A Fair Wind) by artist Winslow Homer was painted as oil on canvas in the United States, sometime between 1873 and 1876. I found this piece while looking for another work in the civilization 5 great work database. 

    I saw this piece, and it originally stood out to me because I enjoy marine and naval art. It's intriguing that so many people seem to have differing opinions on what the ocean looks like. I enjoy the use of light and shading to set the mood and the time of day. I think that the perceived form of the sail is probably the coolest aspect of the painting, but the texture on the water is not my favorite take on it. That being said, the texture of the clouds I think serves quite well, but if you zoom in, they're noticeably similar textures between the water and the clouds. The most impactful line in the piece is the horizon line, which serves to show the distance very well. Notably, the perspective of the work is a lot closer than most marine art just because of the size of the vessel. The main focus of the piece is the sailboat Gloucester, and its position is both well served to create movement in the piece and also follows the rule of thirds. The positions of the characters lend the piece to a calm feeling, bending with the boat.


"Breezing Up (A Fair Wind), 1873-1876" National Galley of Art, Accessed 31 Jan. 2024 https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.30228.html

Firaxis Games, Sid Meier's Civilization V, Brave New World, 2K, 2013

Comments

  1. I really like what you had to say about the form of the sail being the most unique part of the painting. I would agree with you that because its the only element leaving the boarder of the painting it does make it a very interesting piece in the overall composition. For this reason i do really like the painting.

    I think we could further break down the composition by noticing that all three of the figures are very central to the piece and all exist backdropped against the sky. To me this makes the piece read as imaginative, as though this is a dream of the kids and not perhaps reality. super fun piece and I'm super glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hayden, I like the choice of picture you chose. I too love being out on the water and I agree with what you wrote about this painting. From what I have noticed the boat is very slanted as if they are in rough seas, but the water looks very calm to me. Possibly a gust of wind hit the sail to tip the boat a bit? I love the painting through. The clouds also tell me it is not so windy? We love being out on the boat during the summer and that is where I am most at peace. The lighting also tells me they are sailing during the afternoon. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the painting Breezing Up is a beautiful example of the American realism style. Its relatively large surface (24 3/16x 38 3/16 in.) that surprises the viewer with a sudden presentation of a dynamic marine scene. The boat seems to be rolling, and Father is tacking it singlehanded. It has the expressiveness of a photo, with the sail being only partially depicted. The boys are in relaxed poses and daydreaming while the father navigates the boat. It is a beautiful metaphor for parenting and the duties of an adult life.
    https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.30228.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts